In this article, we will provide instructions for creating custom fields for your Places in REACH.
Custom fields define what demographic and other information you want to capture about your Places and can be shown publicly, to Admins only or to Sponsors Only.
There is no limit to the number of custom fields you can create for your Places.
Some example Places custom fields we commonly see are:
- Region (Dropdown Select, List of Available Regions)
- Greatest Need (Dropdown Select, Y/N)
- Active (Dropdown Select, Y/N)
- Places Additional Information – (Admin-Only; Table with Table Fields of Title, Dates and Notes)
Here is an example of a Places’s page that includes custom fields.
The Places custom fields are shown in the Details section or as a Tab when set up as a table.
To edit these custom fields, click on the Actions > Edit button in the main record.
Creating a Custom Field for your Places
- Go to Data Setup > Custom Fields
- Click on + New Field
- Add a Title
- Choose Place as your Referral
- Check the box if you want to Show in Admin Console only
- Select the Type of Data:
- Single Line Text – a short text field to hold information
- Paragraph Text – a string of text such as a sentence or paragraph
- Number fields are used for numbers
- Note: For data that will need to be updated yearly,we recommend inputing as a Number in order for you to complete a Bulk Update yearly or as needed.
- Date fields are used for any calendar date
- Dropdown Select – to add multiple options to choose, Yes and No
- A Table can be created to hold a historical list of information.
- Click Create
Any created custom fields for Places will automatically appear in your Place profiles.
Example of Place Custom Fields
Here are examples of a Place Custom Field created to display on your Place’s Record.
Place Custom Field as a Dropdown Select
In this instance, we have created a Place Custom Field we titled Region. We set this up as a Dropdown Select field so we can create and choose from a list of available Regions.
You can set up multiple Place custom fields this way to capture the information you desire.
Here is how the information is displayed in the Place’s record.
Place Custom Field as a Table
In this instance, we have created a Place Custom Field we titled Place Additional Information that is shown in the Place’s view. We set this up as a Table so it displays as a tab in the Place’s record and added the Fields for Table of Title (Single Line Text), Date and Notes (Paragraph Text).
From the Place’s record, you will see Places Additional Information as a tab. From here, you can view all records, +Add Record and click on the Actions button next to each record to Edit or Delete your records.
Setting this Place custom field up as a Table will allow this data to be exported as an Excel spreadsheet or as a PDF directly from the Place Additional Information tab.
Custom fields set up as a table also allows you to search them from the Exports section. To do so, go to Data Setup > Data Import/Export and find and click on Places Additional Information.